Other Semantic Elements
|Topic||Technique||WCAG AA Requirement|
|Headings||See the requirements for headings.|| Required
|Landmarks||See the requirements for landmarks.|| Required
|Lists||See the requirements for lists.|| Required
|Tables||See the requirements for tables.|| Required
|Links||See the requirements for links.|| Required
|Emphasis and Highlighting||Emphasis: Critical emphasis in the text SHOULD be conveyed in a text-based format, not visual styling alone.||best practice|
|Highlighting markup: Highlighted text SHOULD be marked with the
|Text-based highlighting: Critical highlighted text SHOULD be supplemented with a text-based method to convey the meaning of the highlighting.||best practice|
|Inline quotations: The
|Strikethrough/Delete and Insert||Strikethrough markup: Strikethrough text SHOULD be marked with the
|Strikethrough supplemental text: Critical strikethrough text MUST be supplemented with a text-based method to convey the meaning of the strikethrough.||best practice|
|Insert markup: Text designated for insertion SHOULD be marked with the
|Insert supplemental text: Critical text designated for insertion MUST be supplemented with a text-based method to convey the meaning of the insertion.||best practice|
General Notes About Semantic Markup:
If the technology used provides semantic structure to convey the relationships between information:
- Use semantic markup to mark emphasized or special text.
- Use text to convey information that is conveyed by variations of presentation of text.
- Separate information and structure from presentation. Do not use style to convey structure.
- Semantic markup when color cues are used
- Real HTML list elements -
dlfor lists (or
- Real HTML heading elements
h6to identify headings. Headings must be informative and clearly describe the topic that follows it. (Text size is irrelevant for headings — size and style can be implemented via CSS).
- Functions of the Document Object Model to add content to a page.