Job Announcement: Technical Writer for Web Developer Software
We are looking for candidates who are passionate about translating technical products for technical audiences into easy-to-understand, easy-to-use solutions for our clients’ accessibility challenges. Your primary responsibility will be creating detailed product user documentation with a focus on realization of client goals. Secondarily, you will assist with both public-facing and internal video content that will enable both our customers and internal staff to understand and use our products effectively.
Reporting to the Director of Training, the Technical Writer position is responsible for the authoring, editing, and publishing of highly technical documentation and training materials for accessibility software products aimed at a developer audience. As a part of the Deque University Content Team, your duties will include planning and production of demonstration and tutorial videos, and also the authoring and maintenance of technical reference and API documentation.
- 5 years of experience with writing and maintaining user documentation for software products
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong HTML authoring ability
- Strong ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Knowledge of technical writing standards
- Familiarity with content management systems
- Familiarity with markdown and code repository tools such as Artifactory, GitHub and Bitbucket
- Familiarity with issue tracking systems such as JIRA
- Experience with video tutorial production
- Experience with screen capture graphic manipulation tools
- Working knowledge of modern web and native mobile app development technologies and tools
- Familiarity with web development and automated testing tools/technologies such as:
- Browser-based DevTools
- Ability to write code for web or mobile applications
- Ability to create code samples, example test integration projects
- Experience working in agile development teams
- Software development experience
- Test automation engineering and testing framework experience
- Web accessibility knowledge
- Technical training delivery experience
- Experience using MODX content management system
- Experience with graphic/video capture tools such as SnagIt and Camtasia
- Experience with SCORM standards
- Experience with other programming languages (Java, Python, Ruby, C, C++, PHP, etc.)
- Experience with JSON
- Experience with large commercial (Fortune 500) and government IT organizations
- Experience with document accessibility, particularly PDF format
Our mission is Digital Equality. We believe everyone, regardless of their physical ability, should have equal access to everything online. Our focus is to train, equip, and help large organizations ensure that their websites and mobile apps are accessible.
We are a private company, serving a growing list of customers whose brands are recognized worldwide.
About our Products
We strive to create products that make accessibility as painless and efficient as possible. Our tools have been built to integrate with real-world development processes and to address challenges and needs our clients have encountered in their accessibility projects. Our products are used by global brands to test and fix the accessibility of their mission-critical, high-traffic websites, native mobile apps, and PDF documents. We have earned a reputation for reliability, performance, and robustness by ensuring that our products are well architected, carefully implemented, and thoroughly tested.
Our products are installed by our end customers or accessed via our AWS-based cloud services. We strive to understand our customers' development process and ensure that our products integrate easily into development tools such as Jira and Selenium and we routinely develop browser extensions to make our products easy for web developers to use. Check out our website for product descriptions.
We are active contributors to the open source community and our aXe rules engine is the most active accessibility rules engine project on GitHub. Google has integrated aXe into their Chrome Developer Tools and other major technology companies use aXe as an integral part of their development process.
Preferred: Ann Arbor, Michigan. Other locations are possible for a truly exceptional candidate.
Compensation and Benefits
Deque offers a competitive base salary, health insurance benefits, and tuition reimbursement and 401(k) plan participation.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in joining Deque to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Usual reference and background checks will be required.
Thank you for your interest in joining our exciting company!