The Analyze panel of the WorldSpace Attest browser extension allows you to analyze the web page that is currently loaded in the browser for accessibility rule violations automatically. It displays a total number of violations found at the top section of the left sidebar, a total number of issues in need of review, and the number of violations per rule in the right column of each rule row in the lower left pane list. The "violated rules" pane at left functions as in index in which each rule can be clicked to display its content in the right pane. The right content pane gives you several fields of information about the rule, the source of the violation, and how it can be remediated. Additional tools include the ability to navigate between multiple violations for a particular rule, and links that allow you to inspect, highlight, view more information about, export or upload violations to or download issues from WorldSpace Comply.
About The Rules: The automated rules themselves that run are based on the rule set option you select on the Rules panel. For a comparison of rules by each standard setting (preconfigured rule set), see Rules Comparison.
Analyze Panel User Interface Overview
The Analyze panel is made up of two toolbars, and three main panes of information. Collectively, they house the following 19 major components:
- # violations found: The total number of violations found for all rules is displayed, followed by the number of issues in need of review on the line underneath. Note: These numbers do not change based on the show drop-down menu setting.
- Run again link: After making changes to the page (or refreshing it in the browser), use this link to analyze the page again. For detailed information, see Analyzing a Page for Accessibility Rule Violations.
- show menu: Controls the display of rule rows in the table below. Click the down arrow to select either 'all', 'violations' or 'review'. Note: When 'review' is selected, the list of "violated" rules are really just those found to have issues in need of manual review (for example, potential color contrast issues that cannot be programmatically determined) and thus are not necessarily technical violations of rules.
- Rule violation results: Each rule of which violations were found appears as a row within this section, with the short descriptive text displayed. Click on a rule to display more information in the right content pane. Note: Your selection in the show list refines which rules appear in the table, and those found to be in need of manual review are reflected in the 'all' setting totals, but are potentially non-issues.
- Rule violation counts: The number of violations found per rule is displayed to the right of each rule row. Note: The counts are subject to change based on your selection in the show menu list above this column.
- Inspect Node link: Inspect the source code in which the selected violation occurs in the Inspector developer tool. For detailed information, see Inspecting a Violation.
- Highlight link: Highlight the element in which the violation occurs on the rendered HTML display of the loaded page. For detailed information, see Highlighting a Violation.
- Panel menu (context menu) button: Displays a menu of link items that are specific to the currently-selected (Analyze) panel that provide access to additional options, actions and functionality involved with accessibility analysis (including Export, Scope, Upload, and Download). Click to display the list of menu items in a drop-down menu, click the button again to close the menu.
- Export link: Download the analysis results into a Comma-Separated Value (.csv) file suitable for viewing in a spreadsheet program such as Excel. For detailed information, see Exporting Analysis Results.
- Scope link: Displays the Scope panel, which controls the scope of what is analyzed on the Analyze panel. This includes options for Content or Template only, as well as the ability to specify a URL Patten or XPath. For detailed information, see Scope Definitions.
- Upload link: Upload analysis result rule violations to WorldSpace Comply. For detailed information, see Uploading Analysis Results.
- Download link: Download page issues from WorldSpace Comply into the Analysis tab. For detailed information, see Downloading Page Issues from WorldSpace Comply.
- Violations display and navigation buttons: Click the left arrow (less than symbol) button to navigate to the previous violation, after previously navigating forward beyond the first violation. The rule in the left pane remains selected, but the content pane is refreshed to display the previous violation. The Violation # of total display shows the number of the currently-accessed violation of a rule is displayed, along with the total number of violations found for that rule.Click the right arrow (greater than symbol) button to navigate to the next violation when more than one was found for the selected rule. The rule in the left pane remains selected, but the content pane is refreshed to display the next violation..
- Severity display: The severity level of the accessibility impact resulting from a violation of this rule is displayed. For detailed definitions of each impact level, see the Glossary.
- More info link: Click to view the rule help in Deque University for aXe (free content when not logged in) or Attest (premium, enhanced content when logged in), where you can get "how to fix" and "why it's important" information. For detailed information about accessing and interpreting rule help, see Getting More Rule and Remediation Information.
- Target field: The path within the hierarchical tag structure is displayed to represent the navigation to the element in which the currently-selected violation occurs.
- HTML field: The relevant source code of the element in which the violation occurs is displayed.
- Issue tags (Applicable category and guideline tags): The Issue tags drawer is expanded by default and can be collapsed by clicking the greater-than symbol (right arrow) at the right side of the section. It displays the success criteria category for the currently-selected rule, and the relevant accessibility guidelines (rule set standards) the rule helps to satisfy. For detailed information, refer to the Glossary. For more information about which rule set the analysis engine is checking against, see the Rules topic.
- Solution Summary section: Remediation advice is provided in the context of one or more issues that can be resolved to statisfy the rule and prevent a future violation. In addition to summarized "what to fix" information, Related Nodes are also displayed when applicable.