Downloading, Installing and Configuring the Attest Extension
Consult your Deque Engagement Manager or contact the Customer Success office for assistance if necessary! The WorldSpace Attest browser extension can be installed by following a simple browser extension installation process that is not unlike that which you would follow for any other browser extension. After being installed, it provides a few configuration setting options you can then change later as desired. The instructions on this page are provided to give you a general overview of the steps involved, but may slightly differ at your organization.
On this page:
- For the Chrome browser
- For the Firefox browser
Before you begin, be aware of the following important requirements:
- You must have at least 4 MB free space to accommodate the Attest extension size (approx. 3.7 MB as of version 3.0.0).
- You must agree to allow the Attest extension to have the ability to read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
- You must agree to allow the Attest extension to manage your downloads.
- You must configure the Chrome browser to allow popups.
- You must not use Incognito browsing mode. The issues/scripts/scope definitions download/upload capabilities can become disabled when the browser is in "incognito" or private mode.
For the Chrome browser
The following instructions are only provided as an example to give you an idea of the installation process. Specific process steps may differ according to your unique security and browser type/version requirements. Depending on your organization, you may be required to load an unpacked extension with Developer mode enabled, which may be made available from the Deque Agora artifact repository, or a shared drive location within your network. Consult your management for specific installation instructions. A recommended best practice is always to contact us to do it for you!
To download, install and configure the Attest extension (Chrome Web Store example):
- In the Chrome browser, navigate to the Attest DevTools for Chrome extension installation file. Click on the link to initiate the installation procedure. Contact your Admin or contact Deque Tech Support to obtain the appropriate file location (URL) for your organization.
- Click the ADD TO CHROME button.
- On the 'Add WorldSpace Attest DevTools?' dialog box, click the Add extension button.
- In the Chrome browser Address field, type
chrome://extensions, then press the Enter key.
- Ensure the Allow access to file URLs option is checked to enable the full functionality Attest is capable of. Note: This box is initially selected by default.
The Extensions page of the Chrome Web Store opens and displays the WorldSpace Attest DevTools popup window with information about the extension and an ADD TO CHROME button.
The ADD TO CHROME button label changes to CHECKING..., and the 'Add WorldSpace Attest DevTools?' dialog box pops up listing the extension permissions and prompting you to click an Add extension button.
The 'Add extension' dialog box closes, the CHECKING... button label changes to display the status of 'ADDED TO CHROME', and a new dialog box pops up at the top, right displaying the message, "WorldSpace Attest DevTools has been added to Chrome. Manage your extensions by clicking Extensions in the Tools menu."
WorldSpace Attest is now displayed in the list of extensions. By default, the Enabled checkbox is checked.
Incognito Caution: Deselect the Allow in incognito checkbox option on the Extensions page if you do not want to use Attest when in that mode. Otherwise, be aware of the fact that Chrome is not able to prevent the extension from recording your browsing history.
Extensions Toolbar: Unless you decide to hide it from the Chrome menu, look for the Attest logo to appear in the chrome extensions toolbar to the right of the Address location field for quick access. This lets you know Attest is installed and ready to use at any time.
Default Packed Extension Location: After installation, should you want to know the location on your local machine, navigate to chrome://version in the omnibox (browser Address field) and note your computer's Profile Path because it will serve as the beginning of the path on your hard drive to the default folder for Chrome browser extensions. For example, if your Profile Path is
C:\Users\(Windows) then the following would be where your extensions are stored (where ~ is that profile path): ~\Extensions, and for Mac it would be ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Extensions.
We recommend that you not block popups in the Chrome browser because such a setting can prevent the WorldSpace Attest browser extension from working properly.
To stop blocking popups:
- Navigate to the
chrome://settingspage in the Chrome browser.
- Scroll down to the Advanced section and click on it to expand the display of its contents below.
- In the 'Privacy and security' section, click on Content settings.
- In the 'Content settings' section, scroll down as necessary and then click on the Popups item.
- In the Popups section, ensure the 'Allowed' slider control is moved to the right position and is blue to indicate it is on.
Related Topic: Additional configuration settings, including rule set options, are available on the Settings panel in the Attest extension. For more information, see Selecting a Rule Set.
For the Firefox browser
The Attest extension can be downloaded from the WorldSpace Attest Agora (Deque's Artifactory repository), or it can be installed on your behalf by a Deque representative (recommended). It can then be installed by following a simple browser extension installation process, although the steps differ by browser type. After being installed, it provides a few configuration option settings you can change as desired. Attest is a Cross-Platform Installer Module (XPI) ZIP file used to install packages or "bundles" that utilizes the XPInstall technology for installation of the browser extension. When launched, the file automatically interacts with the installation instructions contained in the XPI, and installs the contained software in the browser extension manager.
The Attest extension has been developed to be a verified Firefox add-on that is "signed" by Mozilla to signify it meets important security guidelines. For more information, see Add-on signing in Firefox. Version 57 and up are currently supported to take advantage of Mozilla's support for the WebExtensions API in that version and later. For users of the original FireEyes or FireEyes II tools, you must first manually remove them from the about:addons extension page in Firefox prior to installing Attest.
In this section:
The download location, as well as the installation process, is slightly different for WorldSpace Comply clients than it is for WorldSpace Attest clients. Therefore, it is important that you refer to the appropriate instruction set below accordingly.
For WorldSpace Comply Clients
To download, install and configure the Attest Firefox extension for Comply:
- Navigate to and click on the Download Attest Extension link (provided to you by your Deque Engagement Manager, Project Manager, or Customer Support Representative), or simply double-click the filename of the XPI file (for example,
- If prompted to allow the Attest extension, click the Allow button.
- Click the Install button that appears in a popup window at the top, left of the browser. For screen reader users, tab to the Install button and activate it, or press Alt+I.
- On the browser Extensions page, to the right of the Attest extension, click the Options button. Note: On a keyboard, press and hold the Ctrl+Shift+A keys to manage your add-ons, then select the Extensions tab, or simply type 'about:addons' in the Firefox address bar.
- In the Automatic Updates field, select the desired radio button option. The On radio button option setting is recommended. When the Off setting is selected, a Check for updates link appears to the right of the button, for those who prefer to update manually.
- In the Use SAML field, check the box if you want to use your active WorldSpace login information for downloading and uploading. Note: If your instance of WorldSpace Comply is not enabled to support SAML (when the WorldSpace Comply FireEyes_config.properties file has the useSAML flag set to true), this checkbox should not be checked. Consult your System Administrator for details.
Note: Depending on your browser version and settings, you may be prompted to first allow and then install the extension.
After clicking the Allow button, you may notice a message indicating the add-on is being downloaded and verified, after which an Install button appears.
A browser message appears to indicate the extension has been installed successfully.
Related Topic: Additional configuration settings, including ruleset standard options, are available on the Settings panel in the Attest extension. For more information, see Settings.
For WorldSpace Attest Clients
The Attest Firefox extension can also be downloaded from the Deque Agora artifact repository. Before you begin, you must have access to this centralized repository (including the company-id for your license of WorldSpace Attest and the Username and Password). Complete details are available in the Getting Started section of the WorldSpace Attest Quick Start Guide. For more information, see Prerequisites.
To download, install and configure the Attest extension for WorldSpace Attest clients:
- Navigate to https://agora.dequecloud.com in your browser.
- Enter your Username and Password in the text entry fields.
- Click the Log in button.
- In the left sidebar menu, click the Artifacts option.
- In the Tree browser, click the down arrow to the left of the Attest Extension folder.
- Click on the @attest-firefox-1.3.0.xpi file name.
- Click the Download link at the top, right of the main content pane.
- On the Opening...dialog box, select the Save Fileoption, then click the OK button.
- Navigate to the about:home page in Firefox.
- Ensure the Extensions option is selected on the left sidebar menu, then click the Cog icon drop-down arrow at the top of the content pane.
- In the drop-down menu, select the Install Add-on From File... option.
- In the 'Select add-on to install' dialog box, locate and select the downloaded .xpi file from your computer and then click the Open button.
- When prompted to confirm installation, click the Install button on the Add-on Manager caution message popup window.
The page is redirected to the Artifactory login page.
The Deque Agora repository opens, displaying an Artifacts option in the left sidebar menu.
The Artifact Repository Browser displays a tree menu to the right of the left sidebar menu.
The expanded folder contents below reveals the '@attest-firefox-1.3.0' file.
The main content pane at right displays the general information about the file, along with a Download option.
An Opening... dialog box appears prompting you to save or open the file.
The dialog box closes and the XPI file is saved to your browser's default download location on your local computer hard drive.
The Extensions page appears, listing any previously-installed extensions.
The Select add-on to install dialog box pops up in a new window.
The dialog box closes, and a caution message appears at the top, left of the browser.
Note: If the .xpi file extension has not been associated with Firefox, you will be asked which program you want to use to open this type of file. Then you have to first select "other", and then locate the firefox.exe file on your file system, which is typically located in a Mozilla Firefox subfolder within the Program Files (X86) folder.
An Add-on Manager success response message appears at the top, left of the browser.
On the Add-ons Manager Firefox screen (which you can get to by typing 'about:addons' into the Address bar or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+A), you can verify the installation by locating a WorldSpace Attest entry in the alphabetical list of Extensions (two tab stops over). For screen reader users, if you hear the options "disable, remove" announced after Attest, you know it is installed and ready to use.